MS Cardfile replacement for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 (32 and 64 bits)
Long ago I used to keep addresses, phone numbers and other
personal information in old Windows 3.1 Cardfile, which I missed
in Microsoft Windows 95. The alternatives (MS Scheduler, MS
Outlook) were either too complex or inconvenient to use. I just
needed a simple, small notebook with the ability to locate an
item quickly. Specifically, I wanted something that consisted of
empty cards - without any predefined fields (street addresses,
zip, state, phone, fax, etc.).
Instead of using the old MS Cardfile, I decided to make such
application myself. It now helps me to manage phone numbers and
addresses, and more. This small application is equally suitable
for use as a small "database" for references, notes, recipes...
or anything else you want quick access to.
This screenshot shows the example file that comes with azzCardfile.
Click on the image to see a larger view
An idea of azzCardfile is simple paper cardfile or rolodex: pile of empty
cards. No any fields. You have empty "paper" sheet when you start new card.
This approach has advantage: you can keep everything in one file (cardfile
"box"): addresses, notes, etc.
It is not convenient to keep your addresses and recipes in the same
traditional database table.
Other advantage is fast card finding: just type any fragment of card title
in the filter box. Therefore, azzCardfile helps me, as disordered person, to
keep all things in one heap, but easy find what I need.
- Data files (cardfiles) can be compressed, encrypted and can be
- Uncompressed data files have XML structure. This helps to recover
data and customize import-export functions
- Imports Microsoft Cardfile *.crd files, delimited text and XML files
- Exports text, RTF, HTML and old version AZZ Cardfile files
- Merges (synchronizes) several data files into one
- Cards count and card sizes are limited only by system resources
(tested 100,000 cards and individual card sizes over 10 MB)
- Cards can hold rich formatted text (tables supported), embedded or
linked objects (images, sounds and more)
- Remembers creation and last
modification dates for each card
- Many ways to recall and search cards
- Filter cards by typing: locate any card in a long list by pressing only
a few keys
- Search and replace in entire file or selected card
search applying regular expressions and various parameters. Separation
cards which contain searched text
- Grouping cards
- Using icons to mark
individual cards in the list
- Automatic backup copy creation
- Option for automatic savings periodically
- Option to lock file preventing accidental changes
- Any card can be locked from accidental editing
- Prints selected cards, selected groups, all cards, titles only, etc.
Print Preview can be used
- Dials phone using internal or Microsoft phone dialer. Autodetects
and remembers phone numbers
- Sends e-mail, browses WWW, dials, open files, run programs,
navigates to other cards from hyperlinks
- Spell checking. Many OpenOffice dictionaries available. Custom dictionaries. Live spell check
- Offers customizable appearance (user interface)
- Bookmarks. Easy set and get to ten different places of the file
- Go back to previous viewed card
- Stores window position, size, toolbars, most recently used files and
other options in the ini files (doesn't use Windows Registry)
- Enhanced card editor supports custom text and paragraph styles,
hidden hyperlinks, symbols, table design functions and more
- Option to minimize to Notification area for one click access
- A wizard helps copy azzCardfile program to the USB flash drive and
run on other computer without installing and leaving any personal
information behind. Synchronizes data files and settings between host
computer and removable drive.
azzCardfile submitted to download sites using SoftCab.com
- April 14, 2015
Version 4.1.14 released:
export/import xmldb - gateway to Android version; dual screen support; spellcheck related and other bugs fixed; safety improvements
- May 18, 2013
Version 4.1.13 released:
fixed hang on opening specific file, page breaks
- April 09, 2013
Version 4.1.12 released:
fixed export dialog, card copy to clipboard, import protected file
- March 20, 2013
Version 4.1.11 released:
fixed importing-exporting and some hypertext issues
- February 26, 2013
Version 4.1.10 released:
fixed tabs drag-and-drop, dialing
To keep up-to-date on the development of azzCardfile, please enter your
email address below and click Go.
What's new in version 4.1
- Spell checking ("Tools | Spelling"). Many OpenOffice dictionaries available.
Custom dictionaries. Live spell check.
- Bookmarks ("Edit | Set Bookmark", "Edit | Go To Bookmark"). Easy set (Shift
+Alt+1..0) and get to ten (Shift+Ctrl+1..0) different places of the file.
- Go back to previous viewed card ("Edit | Go Back", or Shift+Ctrl+A)
- Improved reliability. Saving secured.
- Export to delimited text.
Text files with Comma (csv) or Tab separated values
can be imported to other applications.
- Added task panel for simplified default text and paragraph formatting
("Format | Default Formatting").
- Added Card Properties dialog.
Now you can lock selected cards from accidental editing, change their creation and modification dates
- Added Sorting by Icons.
- Added more graphic file types support (e.g. png).
What's new in version 4.0
Version 4 is made as a new application – I almost didn’t use the code from previous versions.
Although the program’s appearance is similar to the previous version,
the functionality is highly improved.
Compressed XML file format. No more temporary files are
created during file opening, using and closing.
All settings are moved from the Windows Registry to
Icons in the cards list
Improved formatting: styles, rulers, tables support
More customizable Header styles
Modem selecting for dialing
Dial and card hidden hyperlinks
USB flash drive support
Delimited text import wizard
New licensing system
Copyright © 1998-2013 Antanas Zdramys. All Rights Reserved.